In our guide on how to fix steam VR error 306 compositors connect failed, you will know several methods. Besides, steam is one of the popular platforms that is downloaded by gamers. This site has incredible features, and it helps the users to enjoy their products till the last moment.
Now numerous users are complaining about the steam VR error 306. The full error that will appear on your screen is “steam VR failed to initialize for unknown reasons.” This error is related to the IPC compositor connect failure 306.
Methods On How To Fix SteamVR Error 306 Compositor Connect Failed
Before we try the fix steam VR error 306 methods, we’ll tell some of the causes of this error.
Causes Of Steam VR 306 Compositor Connector Error
o Connector Issues
Suppose you are using the VR headset with any secondary port, then you will have steaming issues. You will have the error 400 or 306. Moreover, the error could be due to the connector port you are using for the Vr headset. Could you choose the right port for connecting it? You have to choose the connectors correctly. Choose the display and HDMI ports slots for the VR headset connectivity.
o Outdated Software
Suppose your computer has outdated software, then you will have the error 306. This software of steam should be up-to-date, and you will not have any errors. Choose the VR headset that is compatible with your device and must update the software before using it, so you don’t have any errors.
o Incorrect Installation Of GPU Driver
Suppose the installation of the drivers is not correct, then you will get the 306 error. You have to install the GPU drivers correctly. Now install the GPU driver that is compatible with the VR steam. You will not have the triggering issue if the drivers are installed properly.
o Steam Beta
The disabled steam beta will be another issue for causing the error 306. You have to fix the issues correctly on steam and then enable the steam beta to prevent errors in the future. Try to do an experiment for enabling the steam beta, and you will conveniently fix the issues in this way.
o Natural Locomotion
You can uninstall the natural locomotion software for having the right functionality of the Steam VR. There are chances that you might have the error 306 due to the natural locomotion error.
These were the possible causes of the error 306 steam VR. Now you can move on to the solutions for this error. In our guide, we will reveal various fixation methods that you can use for fixing steam VR error 306. Read on!
7 Methods For Fixing The Steam VR 306 Error
Below are the 7 methods that will tell how to fix steam VR error 306 compositors connect failed.
1. Use The Correct Port
You have to use the correct port for using the VR headset. Do you know that it is possible to connect various headsets at a time if the laptop has more ports? You can use the multiple display port and then connect it with the secondary display you have to choose the other one.
Sometimes the ports are damaged, due to which you can have the error 306. You can use the primary HDMI port for connecting the steam VR headset. You have to remove the monitor cable from the display and then connect the headset. The primary HDMI slot might be damaged, and you have to choose the right slot to avoid errors.
Ensure that you have the right GPU installed in the laptop, and then choose the HDMI cable for connecting the VR headset if the built-in ports are not working. You have to connect the monitor to the other slots.
After connecting the monitor, you have to check if the steam VR error of the compositor is resolved or not. You have to ensure that you disconnect the display before changing the ports for the Vr headset.
Below we have other 6 methods that you can try to fix the steam Vr 306 error.
2. Reinstall The Steam VR Driver And Toggle Direct Mode
You have to reinstall the steam VR driver and toggle on the direct mode. For that, you have to disconnect the HDMI cable and the headset to start the process of solving error 306.
- Launch the steam and press on the option of MENU.
- You have to launch the steam VR menu and then click on the steam settings.
- From the settings, you have to launch it and then press on the reset option. The reset will be present on the right side of the settings.
- Remove the steam VR USB devices
- Now navigate to the settings of enabling direct mode.
- Disable the direct mode and then click on OK to save the settings.
Now that you have followed all the steps, you have to disconnect the HDMI cord and click on the GPU headset option again. You have to ensure that the other cables are disconnected.
Also, launch the program again, and you have to press on the pimax display settings. You have to install the drivers again, and then you have to run the steam VR again. In this way, you will have the missing drivers back on your laptop.
You have to check the compositor settings and check if the error is solved or not.
3. Install The Driver Manually
For installing the driver, you have to uninstall the prior drivers before.
- Firstly, you have to disconnect the headset
- Press the windows and R button to open run
- You have to enter the devmgmt.MSC and press ENTER.
- Now you have to find the headset on your driver manager.
- Right, click on it.
- Press uninstall now and remove the drivers from the laptop.
- After the drivers are uninstalled, you can install the drivers again and check if the steam VR 306 error is occurring again or not.
4. Uninstall The USB Drivers
You have to uninstall the USB driver to fix the error 306 compositor connector issue. For uninstalling the USB drivers, you have to follow these steps:
- First of all, you have to disconnect the headset from the computer.
- Now you have to press the R and windows to open the run prompt.
- In the run tab, you have to enter “devmgmt.MSC” and you have to press ENTER.
- Now type devmgmt.MSc in the run
- You have to click on the device manager, press the human interface, and then put it in the USB input device.
- Click on the uninstalling button, and you have to remove the drivers completely.
- Ensure that you connect the VR headset to the laptop and check if the error is resolved or not.
- Check the device to manage and change the settings of the hardware and install the drivers again.
You have to check the steam VR error 306 is resolved or not.
5. Opt Steam VR Beta
- You have to log in to the steam by entering the details of your ID.
- Now you have to open the library and click on the search option from the library.
- You have to open the steam VR, and you have to use the tool for solving the error.
- Click on the properties of the VR beta and open the steam VR options.
- Click on the Steam VR beta and close the window after updating it.
- Run the game, and you will solve the steam Vr compositor 306 error.
6. Uninstall The Natural Locomotion Software
- Open the run prompt, and then you have to type Appwiz.CPL on the given area. Now press the ENTER button.
- The application will be launched, and you have to type wizard.typing “appwiz.CPL”.
- Click on the icon to uninstall the software. Then you can scroll down to escape from the error of 306.
- You have to follow the instructions that will come on your screen. Also, you have to remove the software completely from the compositor.
- Open the steam directory, and you have to open the config folder.
- Remove the locomotion folders, and you have to remove them. The steam VR will not have issues once you uninstall the steam VR 306.
7. Reinstall The Graphics Processing Drivers
- You have to reinstall the graphics processing drivers. Also, it is necessary to install the GPU again and check if the VR error is occurring or not.
- Now you have to download the DDU, and you have to uninstall the previous driver first.
- Once the GPU is uninstalled, you will be shifted to the Microsoft visual adapter.
- Open the NVIDIA website, and you have to download the GPU.
- The drivers will be installed, and you will not have the Vr steam 306 error.
We expect that you’ll be able to solve the issue of the steam VR 306 by any of the above-given methods.
Below are some questions that are most commonly asked; check them out too.
Is There Any Option To Reset The Steam VR Height Settings?
You can reset the height settings of steam VR by the following steps:
- Firstly, you have to open the menu of the steam VR and click on the left wrist by pressing the button Y. You will have the rift controller option or menu on the HTC Vive controller.
- On the other side, the VR settings will show the height settings from the main menu.
- Use the VR controller, and you have to click on the activating settings the check which height is required. You can choose the right height option now.
- After choosing the height, settings click on the OK button to save it.
What Is Steam VR Mode?
The steam VR mode is the third party driver, and you will have the prevention of all the problems. Click on the safe mode for solving the errors. The safe mode will prevent errors, and you will not have any interference in the steam VR.
How To Run The Steam VR Setup?
To run the steam VR setup, you can follow these steps:
- Firstly, you have to install the software of steam by the store.steampowered.com/about.
- Now you can insert your headset and launch steam. You have to prompt the steam VR.
- You have to join the steam VR beta.
- Install the windows reality for launching the steam VR.
- Now press play now.
How To Switch Off The Safe Mode In The Steam VR?
For switching off the safe mode in the steam VR, use the following seven steps:
- Firstly, you have to launch the steam.
- Now open the library.
- You have to click on the game for reconfiguration.
- Click on the properties from the menu
- Set the launching now button option.
- Remove the other launch options.
- Now type-safe to launch VR in the safe mode.
To Sum Up
If the above solutions didn’t work, then you can try the restore repair tool for fixing the steam VR error issues. You will have this amazing tool that can clear the missing files and correct the corrupt files. You will have the solution to the other errors that are occurring on the computer too.
With the restore repair tool, you will have the right optimizing system, and it will maximize the computer’s performance. You can download the restore repairing tool easily from its original site.
So which method helped you to fix the steam VR 306 compositor connect failed error? Comment below. Share it with other steam users too.
Thanks for the read!