Windows 10 has always had issues playing older games due to their multiple old-school engines being outdated and no longer supported by the developers. This issue especially comes into play with Half-Life 2 where the “HI2.exe has Stopped Working” error prevents you from enjoying it and causes the game to crash unexpectedly bringing up a blue screen.
In this article, we have given you a list of different ways by which you can completely fix the HI2.exe has stopped working error. We have listed different methods that solve the issues in most cases. It is important that you follow through with all of them in order to ensure that your problems are fixed and you do not encounter any further issues.
What Causes the HI2.exe has Stopped Working Error?
When computers break or have a problem, it can be frustrating. It’s important to know why something isn’t working and what may fix it. While you were trying to prepare your presentation for tomorrow, your powerpoint program ignored how much disk space was actually available on your computer.
Outdated GPU Drivers: Every time you install a new GPU drivers software to your computer, it can mess with other one’s already installed. This is why we have included instructions for each driver that are specific for your operating system on below links for updating each one of them, also in case you need to reinstall it or update from previous versions.
Antivirus: Sometimes, in order to fix the HI2.exe has stopped working error message, we suggest that you disable the antivirus temporarily and then check to see if doing so has fixed the issue. This is because sometimes antiviruses might prevent certain game components from running properly.
Missing Permissions: In certain situations, your computer might not be permitted to do something or may have absolutely no right to do that thing. Therefore, please run the game with administrative permissions as mentioned below.
Refresh Rate: The refresh rate of the monitor might prevent the game from running properly if it isn’t configured properly. Therefore, we suggest that you try setting your monitor to its highest refresh rate or lower, and follow the methods listed below to configure as required. If you are using a controller / 3rd party device then please ensure that you have also enabled v-sync in both settings.
Now that we have taken you through most of the reasons behind this issue, we can finally start implementing some solutions.
Verify System Requirements:
Some users may face this error due to incompatibility of their PC hardware i.e. their computer does not meet the required minimum system specifications in order to run Half-Life 2. To check the game’s minimum system requirements, visit the game’s official website and look for the Minimum System Requirements section before proceeding to the major fixes below. Follow the instructions given below to find your system specifications.
- Windows Key + R on a Windows keyboard opens the “Run” dialogue box. Type “ditag” in the dialogue box and select “OK”
2. DirectX Diagnostic Tool window will appear in front of you.
3.In the “System” tab, you can find all kinds of information about your PC’s main hardware. This can include details about processor usage statistics, application and plugin lists, security (firewall enabled), and system user accounts. After clicking on the “Advanced System Settings” button at the bottom right corner of the window, a new window will open with different system settings listed under tabs.
Verify those requirements against Half-Life 2’s minimum requirements and see if your computer can handle the game.
Read Carefully Before You Start:
1. Due to the prevalence of Steam Client Launcher, most legacy games can be launched using it. However, occasionally certain bugs in the launcher could cause minor crashes that might prove problematic due to unsaved progress. Fortunately with some persistence, there are ways in which gamers may run their games without relying on the client launcher so as not to have any loss of progress.
How to fix HI2.exe has Stopped Working problem:
Step 1: Update the GPU Drivers Manually
Some people play games on their PCs, and one day the screens show up blank for no reason. This might be because of updated graphics card drivers which are incompatible with their game. If you face this problem too, try reverting back to older graphics card drivers and then see what happens. Windows 10 has automatic updates for display drivers, and if you turn them off, it will stop the error from appearing in your computer. To stop automatic updating of display drivers:
1. Begin by clicking the windows key + r then type “System Properties Advanced” and press Enter.
2. Click “Device Installation Settings” located at the bottom of the Hardware Tab.
3. Select the latter option i.e. “No (your device might not work as expected)” and click on the “Save Changes” option
4. From the start menu, click on Device Manager and open it. In the Device Manager window select Display Adapters. Right-click your GPU option and select Uninstall device.
5. Click here to download the correct driver for your GPU. Now navigate to the manufacturer’s website, (for example, AMD or Nvidia), and once you get there, click on the “drivers” section. Choose the operating system (i.e. Windows 7). Download this file onto your computer and choose the option that says “run” once it is extracted on your computer.
6. Restart your PC and open the game. If your PC is still crashing, repeat Step No. 5 but this time try downloading an older version of GPU display drivers. Make sure that you download a driver that’s compatible with Half-Life 2 .
Step 2: Update Drivers Automatically Through DriverFix
There is another way to fix these driver issues by simply installing a popular driver update assistant named DriverFix.
- After installing the software, simply launch the program and follow the simple steps to have your driver issues resolved:
- Restart your PC and try launching Half-Life 2 again.
Step 3: Temporarily disable Third-Party Antivirus
Some antivirus software detects the Half-Life 2 files as suspicious and marks them as viruses or infected files. As a result, antivirus removes and deletes these files as a safety measure. Two options can be implemented to stop the antivirus from removing these files that are listed below:
Procedure 1: Pause Protection
- To pause protection and disable the antivirus, simply navigate to the Show Hidden Iconsoption on the right side of the taskbar, locate your antivirus, and right-click on it.
- On one display click the selected option and if there’s a second display then click on the antivirus.
3.A warning prompt window will appear and click on the “OK”
Procedure 2: Add file/folder to the exception list
1.If you’re using Windows 7, click the “Show Hidden Icons” option on the right side of your taskbar. Locate your antivirus program and right-click on it.
2.Navigate to the “Settings” option, which will bring up “Advanced Settings”
3.Locate the “Exceptions” option and add the game’s installation folder link to the exceptions list. Save these settings and then exit the antivirus.
Step 4: Run the game file as an administrator
Error 17602 is a common error that arises due to compatibility issues between the operating system and the application program. Running the file as an administrator enables you to then successfully implement this procedure:
- Find the game’s installation folder and look for the game’s executable file named “.exe” then right-click on it, choose “Properties” from the pop-up menu, open this dialogue box/window from the top of its list as shown to launch a new window like what you see in that picture above
2. Navigate to the compatibility tab and the “Run this program in an earlier version of Windows” option, check the “Run this program in compatibility mode for” box and select the windows version from the drop-down list that’s mentioned in the game’s system requirements.
3. Make sure you check the “Run this program as an administrator” box located at the bottom of the compatibility tab.
- Click on “Apply”. Run the game and check if the issue with hl2.exe has stopped working tf2 still exists.
Step 5: Check DirectX Version Compatibility
The root cause of this issue could be related to DirectX IP. The affected game requires a lower version of Direct X 11.1c as compared to newer versions when it comes to compatibility. To find out the installed version of the Direct X on your computer, follow below instructions:
- Hold the Windows key and R, a dialog box will appear, type dialogue.
- When you run the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, it will appear in front of you on top of all other applications. This tool tells you about your computer’s version of DirectX and its hardware analysis.
3.If you are running a system that has Direct X 11, then download and install the compatible version of DirectX i.e., DirectX 9 from here, and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation on your system.
4. Now, check to see if the “HI2.exe has stopped working” issue is fixed and Half-Life 2 runs smoothly on your computer.
Step 6: Disable Background Processes
Tasks that run in the background can sometimes cause an app to crash and as a result, generate this error. Restricting the activity of these background running apps and tasks can also fix this issue. To disable these background running apps and tasks, follow the below-mentioned steps: –
- Press the “Ctrl + Shift + Esc” keys simultaneously to open the Task Manager.
- By going to the Processes tab, you will see a list of all the current tasks running in the background.
- Now go ahead and right-click on each individual task to disable the feature.
- Shut down your laptop, wait a few minutes and restart it. Once complete, you can launch the game again.
5.Hopefully, this will resolve the HI2.exe has Stopped Working issue but if the error still persists, try the next solution listed below.
Step 7: Validate Game Files Using Steam Client
The Steam client can also be used to authenticate the reliability of a computer game’s files. In some instances a computer game can get infected by viruses or have its files removed by antivirus software due to false-positive identification as malware. To verify and repair error-free game data on the computer, please follow the below steps:
- To start Game, double click on the “Steam” icon on your desktop.
2.In the Library menu, go to My Games. Right-click on the game and go to Properties.
3.Locate your Steam “Library”. Then for the app that needs verifying, click “Properties…” and head to the “Local files” tab. After the check completes, run it again to verify the results are identical.
4. As a new Steam client starts, it checks the integrity of game files to make sure they haven’t become corrupt. If the problem still exists after you’ve updated your client and launched the game again, move on to the next solution below.
Step 8: Re-install Half-Life 2
If none of the above mentioned solutions work, try instructions for a clean install:
- After this, you want to right-click your “Steam” icon and choose the “Open” option.
2.In the Library tab, right-click on the affected game and click on Uninstall.
3.Locate the game’s installation folder and delete all remaining files if they are present.
4.If you feel that the game is not running properly, we recommend reinstalling the game.
Step 9: Modify Garry’s Mod In Steam
1.Open Steam, click on the “Apps” tab and then choose “Library.”
2.Right-click on “Gmod”. Select the “Properties” option from the dialog.
3. In a new browser window, locate the “Set Launch Options” button in the bottom left-hand corner and click on it. A box will appear in front of you. Inside that box type “-disable integrated feedsappid GUID_HERE –disable steam controller update” (without quotes) and click OK.
4.Now run the game again and hopefully, that’ll resolve your issue.
Step 10: Delete Garry’s Mod from Steam
If a problem still persists after trying the steps mentioned below then you must uninstall Gmod from the Steam library. Follow the steps provided below to successfully delete the game from your software directory:
- Open the Steam application and navigate to “Library”.
2. Locate your Steam “Library”. Then for the app that needs verifying, click “Properties…” and head to the “Local files” tab. After the check completes, run it again to verify the results are identical.
3.In the “Local Files” tab, choose the “Verify Integrity of Game Cache” option.
If you have implemented “procedure 1″ and the problem persists, try “procedure 2.”
1 .Open the Steam application and navigate to “Library”
2.Locate your Steam “Library”. Then for the app that needs verifying, click “Properties…” and head to the “Local files” tab. After the check completes, run it again to verify the results are identical.
3.Please navigate to the “Local Files” section and then browse files there.
4 .Now return to the previous folder and “Delete”the Gmod.
5.Finally, Uninstall Gmod from the steam menu.
6.Reboot your computer after you have installed all of the software programs listed above and hopefully this should help fix the issue. However, if the problem persists, move on to the next potential solution from below.
Step 11: Prevent Data Execution
1. Click the Start button and type access or change advanced system settings in the search bar.
2.In the Control Panel, search for system tools. Under System Properties navigate to the “Advanced” tab, then click on the “Settings” option in the Performance menu.
3.Performance Options Window will appear in front of you. Click on the DEP tab within the Performance Options Window, then select “Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select” option un-tick FireFox and other default applications (check image).
- Now click on the “Add” option and then find the “Steam.exe” file located in the following directory:
5.Again click on the “Add” option and then find and add the HI2.EXE file in the same exceptions list.
6.Rebooting your computer will solve the most of the crash related issues you come across when playing a game online.
Step 12: Revert back AMD Drivers
Users able to fix the issue by uninstalling and reinstalling the graphics drivers, as well as clearing out the old driver completely. Users could only install the current driver of version “15.11.1” with no issues reported until this moment.
Step 13: Modify Monitor’s Refresh Rate
This error can also occur due to low system specifications or the user may have modified the refresh rate in their game’s properties on their computer. To successfully resolve this issue, try the steps mentioned below:
- The first thing you want to do is open your Start menu and type the term “Display settings”. Then press enter.
2.Advanced Display Settings can be found under the main Control Panel. This is the place where the Refresh Rate of your monitor can be viewed.
3.Now open the Steam application, right-click on the game icon and go to “Properties”. Then go to “Set Launch Options…”
4. A box will appear in front of you. Type the following command in that box and click “OK”.
5.Now launch the game again and hopefully, your issue would have been resolved by now.
If you are still unable to fix the issue, Contact Us for further troubleshooting.