The “Best Could Not Create a Preboot Volume for APFS Install” error is triggered when you try to format your Mac and install the High Sierra on it. If that is the case with you, don’t worry as we have listed every possibility related to this issue and ways to fix them up accordingly. Make sure to review all of the steps below that will resolve your issue. You can refresh your browser or restart it as well.
What Causes the “Best Could not create a Preboot Volume for APFS Install” Error?
We conducted a survey of some entrepreneurs to find out why they have trouble delegating work. Here are the main reasons we found.
In most cases, the error occurs if not have set up the correct format on your hard drive. One way to fix this is to configure the format of HDD to MacOS Extended (Journaled) Volume using methods that are described below.
Wrong Installation Method:
It is possible that you are installing the macOS High Sierra using a method that isn’t working for you, therefore, we suggest that you try to use a bootable USB to install it and then check to see if that fixes the “Could not Create a Preboot Volume for APFS Install” issue.
Now that you have been taken through most of the reasons behind it, we can finally start implementing the fixes for this issue.
Fixing Could Not Create a Preboot Volume for APFS Install Catalina issue:
Step: 1 Tweak the APFS format
As this error arises due to the hard drive’s APFS format, changing the format back to macOS Extended can resolve this issue hence follow the procedure mentioned below to fix this issue:
- Restart your Mac device and press the “Command + R” keys simultaneously immediately until the Apple logo appears to boot the device into Mac Recovery Mode.
- Now, you will see the macOS Utilities window in front of you. From there, locate and select Disk Utility under the heading Utilities at the bottom of the window.
- Select the “Macintosh HD” option and then click Restore. Since it’s the main partition, you should see the APFS partition listed as well.
2. Click the ‘Erase’ option located in the upper middle side of the screen. A pop-up message should appear from which you should choose the ‘Erase volume’ option.\
3. Once you have finished erasing the disk, click on the “Done” option and shut down your PC.
4. Restart your machine and hold the Command, Option and R keys simultaneously until you are prompted to “Launch Internet Recovery.” This may take several minutes.
5. Navigate to Disk Utility option in the macOS Utilities window.
6. Select Macintosh HD on the left pane, select the Volume (-) in the “View” tab, and you’ll see a pop up window. Find the option of ‘Delete.’
7. Click the “View” tab, choose the option “See all devices”. Now select your main hard drive and click the ‘Partition’ option located on the upper middle side of the window.
9. A pop up will appear. Name the new partition as “Macintosh HD”. Select Mac OS Extended (Journaled). If necessary, select GUID partition table. Click Apply.
10.See Step Two to learn how to partition a hard drive for the “Journaled” option. Click that link and once on the page, scroll down both of the windows where you’ll create new partitions and select “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)” as your format. Keep the “GUID Partition Table” as your scheme and click “Apply.”
11. Now follow the on-screen instructions and after successful installation hopefully, will be able to resolve ‘could not create a preboot volume for apfs install catalina’ issue.
Step 2: Tweak the APFS Format
This error can arise due to conflict in the hard drive format of APFS. You can revert back to APFS by following the procedure given below:
- First, shut down your PC and wait for the battery to empty before reconnecting your computer to AC power. After that, press the “power” button again and tap the “command + option + R” buttons simultaneously on your keyboard while booting up to access Internet Recovery Mode.
2. Locate the “Disks” option in the Macintosh Utilities window.
3.In the “View” tab, check out the option “See All Devices”, and in the list choose your main hard disk drive. Then click on the “Erase” option.
4. Now go to the “Partition” tab and rename your partition MacHD. To change the file system go to the “Options” section and choose APFS. Select GUID partition scheme and click Apply.
5. Once you’ve followed all of the above mentioned steps, exit from Disk Utility and then choose the option to restore macOS on your device.
Step 3: Reinstall macOS Using Bootable USB
You can solve this problem by using a bootable USB drive to install the macOS. Perform these steps for a clear procedure:
- Install macOS High Sierra and run it to ensure your computer is compatible. To begin, download the macOS High Sierra beta installer from the Mac app store. Once downloaded, install the application and launch it. This beta version of macOS will install on Mac computers manufactured 10 years after 2007.
2. After completing the conversion process, the raw files should appear on your desktop in a folder named Sierra.
3. To locate “Terminal”, open the “Finder” window and click on the “Applications” folder. Open that folder and click on “Utilities” to display a grid of programs within your application library. Double-click on the program called “Terminal”.
In the Terminal app, enter the following command:
For macOS High Sierra Public Beta:
4. Press the Return button and enter the admin password.
5. Afterwards, press “Y” when prompted and then press the “Return”
6.Here is the process for creating a bootable USB. When it’s done, turn off your computer.
7. Now restart your computer with the bootable USB connected. The Mac will give you an option. Keep holding the Alt/Option button until you see the Apple menu in appearance.
8. When you get to the macOS installer screen and are ready to proceed, make sure that you select ‘Show Disk’ rather than actually installing anything just yet.
9. Wait for the computer to load the next menu. Once the macOS Utilities window appears, select Disk Utility and then select to erase the hard drive. Once that’s done, you will have to create a partition for your Mac mini utility server.
Note: This procedure is already described in detail in “Solution 1”.
- When the partition has been created, return to the OSX installation menu and select the “Install macOS” option from the list.
11. Now follow the on-screen instructions during the reinstallation process and ensure that you can watch the on-screen prompts as you go. After successful installation, hopefully your issue will be resolved.
Step 4: Alter Mac Partition
This error could have been caused by a corrupted container (container.vol) on the drives section. To rectify the error and fix this issue you can follow below mention steps:
- After pressing the “Command” + “R” keys simultaneously and then waiting for a couple of seconds, the macOS Utilities window should appear.
2. Navigate to the Disk Utility and in the drive overview look for “Container 0” that appears below your main hard disk. Delete this folder and after you create the new partition, format it as “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)”.
3. You will have to follow these steps again in order for your computer’s operating system (OS) be installed on it. First, exit out of ” disks utility” window and select “reinstall macOS” option when prompted by clicking next until you get back into the main menu where all choices are available at this point choose which one best suits what type or version that is currently installed onto yours arcane device .
4. We will be happy to help you fix any issues. Please let us know what’s wrong and how we can make it better!